520 Justice Court
Dallas NC 28034
Custody level: Minimum
Gaston Correctional Center is a minimum-security prison for male offenders ages 18 and older. The facility has a standard operating capacity (SOC) of 200 inmates, with a maximum capacity (MOC) of 242
Gaston Correctional Center was one of the 51 county prisons for which the state assumed responsibility in 1931, and was renovated in the late 1930’s to house inmates who worked for the North Carolina Department of Transportation constructing highways. The facility’s original housing units are still in use today.
Programs offered at Gaston Correctional Center include Character Education, Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, DART Aftercare, Think Smart, Bible Study, religious services, Community Leave and Family Visit. Work opportunities include NC Department of Transportation, Community Work Crews, Municipality Crews, Work Release, and facility assignments such as kitchen, maintenance, and janitor.
The facility works in conjunction with Gaston Community College to offer inmates Adult Basic Education and GED classes. The Human Resource Development Program teaches inmates skills such as resume-writing and job-interview skills. Study Release is also available.
• Visitation is on Sundays, and no appointment is necessary.
• Inmates with last name beginning with the letters A-M visit from Noon – 2 p.m., N-Z visit 2:30-4:30 p.m.
• Visitation is always held outside, weather permitting. If indoors each visit will be limited to the duration of one hour.
• Only three visitors will be permitted to visit each inmate and must be on the inmate’s approved visitor list.
• Inmates who are housed on Administrative Segregation will be granted a 30 minute non-contact visit between the hours of 9 – 10 a.m.
• Special visits may be approved for family that live outside a reasonable driving distance or for family emergencies. Prior approval must be granted.
• No cell phones or pagers
• No handbags
• No glass or metal objects
• No weapons of any kind
• No cameras or recording devices
Take I-85 to Exit #17 (Highway 321), turn left, and proceed north for approximately 2 miles. Take the Cherryville exit (Highway 279 West), proceed right, and turn left after the third stop light.